Page 1 from 17
Page 2 from 17
Daimler AG | GSP/OIP | D-70546 Stuttgart | 02/2011 1
General FAQs EPC, WIS/ASRA
I. EPC, WIS/ASRA Page
1. What is EPC? 3
2. What is WIS? 3
3. What is ASRA? 3
4. What language versions are available for the EPC and WIS/ASRA systems?
5. What data are included in the access packages? 4
6. Where do I find information about vans? 4
7. Where do I find Unimog data? 4
8. Are Mercedes-Benz buses included in WIS/ASRA? 4
II. Operating scenarios
9. What is the difference between the offline and online operation of EPC and
10. Why is online operation recommended? 5
11. How do I switch from offline operation to online operation? 6
12. What alternatives are available in online operation?
13. Is it possible to use online and offline EPC and WIS/ASRA in parallel?
14. What are the requirements for using EPC and WIS/ASRA via the
15. Where do I find more information about the central EPC and WIS/ASRA
solution RetailFactory? 7
16. How can independent market participants (customers outside the sales
network) access the EPC and WIS/ASRA applications? 7
17. How can people within Daimler AG access EPC and WIS/ASRA?
18. What software version and what data status am I currently using?
19. Will I be informed about software and data updates? 8
20. How are updates carried out? 8
21. How large is the average data quantity of an update? 8
Page 3 from 17
Daimler AG | GSP/OIP | D-70546 Stuttgart | 02/2011 2
General FAQs EPC, WIS/ASRA
IV. Support Page
22. What are the available support structures? 9
23. How is the First Level Support of RetailFactory organized and what special
features does it have? 9
24. How are requests to RetailFactory processed? 10
25. What is included in the Second Level Support of RetailFactory? 11
26. With online operation via the RetailFactory, in the event of a malfunction,
how does escalation occur (notification of markets)? 11
27. Which Service Level Agreements (SLAs) are defined for RetailFactory?
V. Ordering, administration, and training
28. How do I order EPC and WIS/ASRA? 13
29. How much does it cost to use EPC and WIS/ASRA? 13
30. Who can answer invoice questions? 13
31. Is it possible to set up function accounts (generic user accounts)?
32. Can one user be used by two or more persons simultaneously?
33. Is the coupling of Xentry TIPS and EPC, WIS/ASRA offered on the central
34. How can part prices be integrated into EPC? 14
35. How do I reset the password on the RetailFactory central platform?
36. Is training offered for EPC and WIS/ASRA? 15
Page 4 from 17
Daimler AG | GSP/OIP | D-70546 Stuttgart | 02/2011 3
I. EPC, WIS/ASRA
1 What is EPC?
The Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) helps you find replacement parts quickly and
In EPC, you have access to the parts literature for the entire Mercedes-Benz
and smart product lines from approx.1946 to the present
By accessing vehicle data cards for vehicles starting in 1978, EPC provides you
with a vehicle-specific, partially automated determination of part numbers
2 What is WIS?
The Workshop Information System (WIS) makes it possible to request vehicle-
specific workshop information
All repair descriptions are stored in WIS so that it corresponds to a workshop
manual in EDP format
WIS provides quick, reliable access to all service information required for
performing maintenance and repairs on vehicles produced since 1985
WIS provides information about vehicle-specific recall and retrofitting actions
3 What is ASRA?
ASRA is the German abbreviation for Operation texts, Standard texts, Flat rates,
and Work units
ASRA supports the customer service agent during order placement by providing
the workshop with time estimates
ASRA makes it possible to invoice labor costs for mechanics on incentive pay
ASRA supports business systems in the preparation of estimates and invoices
Page 5 from 17
Daimler AG | GSP/OIP | D-70546 Stuttgart | 02/2011 4
I. EPC, WIS/ASRA
4 What language versions are available for the EPC and WIS/ASRA systems?
EPC and WIS/ASRA differentiate between the dialog language (user interface)
and the content language
The EPC user interface is available in German, English, French, Italian, Spanish,
Portuguese, Turkish, Japanese, Chinese, Russian, and Polish
The EPC data content is available in German, English, French, Italian, and
Spanish and is partially available in Portuguese, Japanese, and Chinese
The dialog and content language available for WIS are listed under the tab
"Language selection" in the WIS Setup
For ASRA, the dialog and content language are identical, i.e. the dialog language
selected in Setup is simultaneously also the content language
5 What data are included in the access packages?
Complete package: PC and CV packages
PC package: PCs, vans, cross-country vehicles, all vans
CV package: buses, Unimogs, all vans, industrial equipment, trucks
6 Where do I find information about vans?
All vans (incl. V-Class, Vito, Viano, Vaneo) are included in both the PC data
package and the CV data package
7 Where do I find Unimog data?
The Unimog data are contained in the data package of the CV category
8 Are Mercedes-Benz buses included in WIS/ASRA?
ASRA: All Mercedes-Benz buses from Europe, minibuses produced by EvoBus in
Europe, and Mercedes-Benz buses from Turkey are contained in ASRA
DC and ASRA data are available for all bus model designations
WIS: Mercedes-Benz buses produced in Europe since approx. 1998 and
Mercedes-Benz buses produced in Turkey since approx. 2006 are contained in
WIS contains the van chassis size range for Mercedes-Benz minibuses produced
by EvoBus in Europe
Note: Information on the Mercedes-Benz bus products Citaro, Travego,
Tourismo, Intouro, Integro, Minibus (EvoBus size range), and SETRA as well as
chassis produced by OC, BF, and MBC can be found in the BusDoc of EvoBus