Page 1 from 30
BMW E46 330 TS1/TS2
Technical support Europe: +4741558555
Technical support USA: (858)314-2954
Email support: [email protected]
Page 2 from 30
Installation manual BMW E46 330 TS1/TS2
Remove and send ECU to ESS
Tools required: - 5mm hexagon (Allen Wrench) or T20 Torx driver
• Wait at least 5 minutes after turning off the car to perform this step to allow the ECU to
discharge. The ECU is located under the plastic cover on the driver’s side of the car, just in front
of the firewall (Pic.1). Remove the 4 bolts and lift cover towards fender. Start disconnecting the
connectors from the fire wall side and towards the front of the car (Pic.2). Press the small tab and
rotate the levers on the larger plugs to remove. Make a note of ECU type: MS43 or MS45 (Pic.3).
• Be sure to include your name, address, phone number, and car and system with your ECU when
you ship it. ECUs will be shipped back via FedEx GROUND unless you instruct us otherwise.
Additional charges may apply for other shipping methods.
US customers, please ship to our programming center:
ESS Performance Products USA, Inc.
1900 W Chandler Blvd.
Chandler, AZ 85224-6175
Telephone : (480) 389-4377 (Phone hours : 9am-6pm MST)
Fax: (602) 595-0486
For customers outside the US only:
-Fill in the missing info on the included pro-forma invoice and send the ECU to ESS Norway
using UPS or FedEx. Do not mark the ECU with any higher value than 20USD.
The address for customers outside the US:
Company: ESS Performance Products A/S
Page 3 from 30
Step 1: Remove microfilter housing, plastic cover around brake booster, cover in front of
the windshield wiper motor and fuel injector cover.
Tools required: - T30 torx driver
- Flathead small screwdriver
- 10mm socket
• The microfilter housing sits above the engine against the firewall. Remove the microfilter
housing cover by twisting the 3 clips (Pic.4) counter clockwise 1/4 turn. Remove the cover and
the micro filter. Unclip the cover on the cable channel in front of the micro filter housing and pull
the cables free (Pic.5). Loosen the four (4) x T30 Torx screws in the rear of the housing (Pic.6)
and pull the housing up and out.
• Remove the rubber insulation around the DME box by pulling straight up. Remove the twist-
lock right below the rubber insulation and to the right of the cable/hose grommets by rotating 1/4
turn counter-clockwise (Pic.7).
• Pull the vacuum hose for the brake booster out of the rubber sealing on the brake booster. You
will remove this hose together later with the intake (Pic.8). Pull the two cable/hose grommets up
from the DME box side panel and pull the panel straight up and out.
• Locate and remove the long panel that covers the AC blower/fan at the rear of the engine bay.
There are two T30 Torx bolts securing the panel (Pic.9). Pull the panel a little out towards the
front of the car and then straight up. This will be reused.
Page 4 from 30
• Locate and unclip the two plastic clips using a flathead screwdriver on the injector cover
(Pic.10). Unbolt the two bolts using a10mm socket (Pic.11). Remove the cover (Pic.12). All of
these parts will be reused.
Page 5 from 30
Step 2:Remove factory air filter box, mass air sensor (MAS/MAF/HFM) and rubber air
intake all the way down to the throttle body.
Tools required: - 10mm socket
- 6mm flexible clamp tool
• Unbolt the two bolts holding the air filter box using M6/10mm socket (Pic.13).
• Unclip the electrical connection for the mass air sensor (Pic.14).
• Loosen the hose clamp that holds the rubber intake hose on the throttle body using a 6mm
socket flexible clamp tool.
• Pull the F connection out of the rubber intake hose (Pic.15).
• Disconnect the wiring harness for the engine from the air filter box (Pic.16).
• Pull the 3 push snaps holding the air intake for the air filter box that is located above the
radiator using a pliers and/or a flathead screwdriver (Pic.17).
• Remove the air filter box together with air intake, mass air sensor and rubber intake hose
• Disconnect the mass air sensor from the rubber hose. The air filter box and the Mass air sensor
will be reused.