Page 41 from 112
Hardware options installation 41
Close the processor retaining bracket and the processor retaining latch.
To prevent possible server malfunction or damage to the equipment, be sure to
completely close the processor locking lever.
12. Remove the heatsink cover.
After the cover is removed, do no t touch the thermal interface media.
Page 42 from 112
Hardware options installation 42
Install the heatsink.
14. Close the heatsink retaining bracket.
15. Install the air baffle (on page 24).
16. Install the access panel (on page 23).
17. Install the server into the rack.
18. Power up the server (on page 21).
You can expand server memory by installing PC 2-5300 Registered DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs. The server
supports up to 32 GB of memory using eight 4-GB DIMMs (four DIMMs per processor).
For DIMM slot locations and bank assignments, see "DIMM slots (on page 13)."
Page 43 from 112
Hardware options installation 43
Advanced ECC memory
This server uses Advanced ECC for memory protection . In Advanced ECC, the server is protected against
correctable memory errors. The server provides notifica tion if the level of correctable errors exceeds a pre-
defined threshold rate. The server does not fail because of correctable memory errors. Advanced ECC
provides additional protection over Standard ECC becaus e it is possible to correct certain memory errors
that would otherwise be uncorrectable and result in a server failure.
Whereas standard ECC can correct single-bit memory errors, Advanced ECC can correct single-bit
memory errors and multi-bit memory errors if all failed bits are on the same DRAM device on the DIMM.
DIMM installation guidelines
Observe the following guidelines wh en installing additional memory:
• Always install memory in pai rs of two identical DIMMs.
• Install only ECC PC2-5300 Registered DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs that meet the following specifications:
o Supply voltage: 1.8 V
o Bus width: 72 bits
• Install DIMMs with the same speed.
• Install memory in pairs (banks) beginning with ban ks farthest away from each populated processor
(banks A and C).
• Observe the following special conditions when installing memory with a second processor:
o Processor 2 can be installed without memory.
o Any memory installed into banks for processor 2 ca n be used only if processor 2 is installed.
Always wear an antistatic wrist strap when working inside the server.
DIMM population order
Configuration Bank A 1A and 2A Bank B
3B and 4B Bank C
5C and 6C Bank D
7D and 8D
Single processor 1st 2nd — —
Dual processor 1st 3rd 2nd 4th
Power down the server (on page 21).
2. Extend the server from the rack (on page 21).
3. Remove the access panel (on page 22).
4. Remove the air baffle (on page 23).
5. Open the DIMM slot latches.
Page 44 from 112
Hardware options installation 44
Always install memory in pairs of two identical DIMMs.
6. Install the DIMM.
7. Install the air baffle (on page 24).
8. Install the access panel (on page 23).
9. Install the server into the rack.
10. Power up the server (on page 21).
For more information about LEDs and troubleshooting failed DIMMs, see "Systems Insight Display LEDs
and internal health LED combinations (on page 14)."
Hot-plug SAS hard drive options
When adding hard drives to the server, ob serve the following general guidelines:
• The system automatically sets all device numbers.
• If only one hard drive is used, install it in the bay with the lowest device number.
• Hard drives must be SFF types.
• Drives should be the same capacity to provide the greatest storage space efficiency when drives are
grouped together into the same drive array.
Page 45 from 112
Hardware options installation 45
Installing a hot-plug SAS hard drive
1. Remove the SAS hard drive blank.
2. Prepare the hard drive.