Page 91 from 300
Load documents for faxing, copying, and scanning
Load a document onto the scanner glass
Use the scanner glass to copy, scan, or fa x small, lightweight (less than 60 g/m2 or 16 lb), or irregularly-
sized originals such as receipts, newspaper clippings, photographs, or old or worn documents.
1. Open the ADF lid.
2.Place the document face-down on th e scanner glass, as shown below:
● For letter- and A4-size documents, place the top
right-hand corner of the document at the
back, left corner of the scanner glass.
ENWW Load documents for faxi ng, copying, and scanning 79
Page 92 from 300
rotated letter- and A4-size documents, place the top left-hand corner of the document at
the back, left corner of the scanner glass. Also use this orientation for B5-size media and for
custom-size media that is less than 210 mm (8.25 inches) in width.
NOTE Make sure that the media in the input tr ay is loaded in the rotated orientation.
●For legal-size, 11 x 17, and A3-size documents, place the top left-hand corner of the document
at the back, left corner of the scanner glass.
Close the ADF lid before you fax, copy, or scan the document.
80 Chapter 4 Media and trays ENWW
Page 93 from 300
Load the automatic document feeder (ADF)
Use the ADF to copy, scan, or fax a document that has up to 50 pages (depending on the thickness of
1.Load the document face up in the ADF as shown below:
● For letter- and A4-size documents, insert the long edge of the document into the ADF with
the top of the document toward the back of the device.
rotated letter- and A4-size documents, insert the short edge (the top of the document) into
ENWW Load documents for faxi ng, copying, and scanning 81
Page 94 from 300
●For legal-size, 11 x 17, and A3-size documents, insert the short edge (the top of the document)
into the ADF.
Slide the stack into the ADF until it does not move any farther.
3. Adjust the media guides until they are snug against the media.
82 Chapter 4 Media and trays ENWW
Page 95 from 300
Print on rotated media
The device can print on letter, A4, A5, Executive, and B5 (JIS) print media in a rotated orientation (short-
edge first) from tray 1 and from tray 2. Printing on rotated media is slower. Some types of media feed
better when rotated, such as prepu nched paper (especially when it is printed on both sides from the
optional duplexer) or labels that do not stack flat.
NOTE To print on rotated A5, Executive, or B5 media, configure the media size as Custom in
the printer driver.
Print from tray 1
1. Load media with the side to be printed facing up, and the top, short edge toward the device.
2.On the control panel, touch Supplies Status, touch the name of the tray, and then touch Modify.
3. Touch Custom .
4. Set the X Dimension and the Y Dimension . The labels in each tray indicate the X and Y directions.
5. In the printer driver or software program, select the paper size as you normally would (or select
Custom ) and select tray 1 as the media source.
Print from tray 2
1. Load paper with the side to be printed facing down, and the top, short-edge toward the right-hand
side of the tray.
2. In the printer driver or software program, sele ct the size and source of the rotated paper.
ENWW Print on rotated media 83